Wednesday 2 November 2011

Pumpkin fun!

I did something last weekend that a lot of people probably take for granted. Indeed it is a simple task, carried out by thousands of people every year. But for me it was the first time I had done it, and I came away with no injuries!

What am I talking about, you wonder? Well last weekend, at the age of 26 years and five weeks I carved my very first pumpkin!

Add this to the fact that to do so I had to use a knife and you will understand why I am finding my lack of injury amazing, as I am not gifted with the common sense needed to use a knife. I am just about ok using a small knife to eat my dinner with, but anything with a larger, sharper blade causes a real problem, and danger of DIY amputation of one of my fingers.

Joe naturally panicked when I suggested we could carve a pumpkin, and immediately insisted that I was to go nowhere near the knife! He just about permitted me to scrape out the insides with a spoon. Well, obviously I set about getting him to change his mind!

On the night in question a few glasses of wine had been consumed. I believe this made Joe feel more relaxed, and was what led him to changing his mind about me using the knife, even though he kept a close supervision on me.

It all started well, but Joe had a slight panic when he realised that I was cutting through the pumpkin with my hand on the inside in danger of being sliced off.

Keen to avoid another four hour trip to A&E with me he trustingly held the pumpkin while I sliced. Now this is trust indeed, as my knife slipped dangerous close at various times when I got carried away!

However disaster was avoided, and I now have a wonderfully carved pumpkin called Percy sitting in my kitchen.

Ironically I survived using the knife and caused more damage to myself lighting the candle to go inside, burning my hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment